Wednesday 8 October 2014

Oh No! Linda Ikeji's blog shutdown: My Story

 Linda Ikeji's blog was really deleted by Google. I thought this whole issue was going to fizzle out and didn't know it was so serious.This is so SAD,and I mean it.Linda Ikeji's blog did inspire me to start blogging .I feel like an important part of me is gone and I mean it.I was reading Linda's blog since she started in 2006,when I would go to the cafe and i was so addicted that i spent most of my money on internet time ,because I was on her blog
She was the first person I emailed the very day I started on the 16th of August 2012.And she replied me.Prior to that she had featured me on her blog twice..As beauty of the day and on another occasion, compared one of my outfit's to Rihanna's.All these happened before i even dreamt of blogging .
In 2011,when I lost my dad and was bored,hated my job,couldn't concentrate,all I did was write .So reading her blog ,i said"Why not open a blog and post all your stories there"It would be like an online diary .
I never expected to have readers,or to take it this seriously.So I mailed Linda,telling her I wanted to start a blog .She replied almost immediately and said she was so happy for me,and she added my blog to her blog list.
That did so much for this blog.Many readers discovered my blog from hers ,and here I am today.
Sometimes, it irks me when people try to compare and say Linda did this, why don't you.First of all, when Linda was hustling as a blogger in 2006, I was still collecting pocket money from my dad as a 200 level Law Student .It's not a competition.,I was inspired by her but made a decision to learn but never be a clone of her,imitating what she does because I want to be her.No one can ever be another person. You can learn from them and be YOU
I am still on Google platform because I said, if Linda can make it on Google platform, I can.Even when many told me, it's virtually impossible to get a good ranking when you are still on a free hosting platform ,They said only 2 blogs using blogspot were on top 500 blogs in Nigeria.I took it as a challenge .And I was overjoyed to have broken that record in the top 100 as the 3rd blog using a free blogspot. This was all because of her .
I wanted to switch to my own website in 2012,I was discouraged not to because I was still building my readership .So I continued ,only to find out some smart person also took up the misspetitenigeria.com domain.So I chilled ..
If anything, this saga has taught me lessons ...She says she would be BACK soon.Of course she will.
Meanwhile the mobile version of her blog is still on www.lindakeji.mobi

No comments:

Post a Comment